Aror Hota is 'Our Voice', a program made by and for the Bangladeshi host community of Palonghkali and Rajapalong districts of Cox's Bazar. This program is produced by Coast Trust with the support of Fondation Hirondelle.
The programs are available on SoundCloud and you can follow* Aror Hota: A Community Radio Programme station.You can also click on the link of each episode to listen and download** the program on you mobile or computer:
- Episode - Cyclone Preparations: This episode talks to local people about their concerns with monsoon season approaching. Advice is provided by Mr. Hafiz Ahmed, Assistant Director, Cyclone Preparedness Program (CPP) about what to do to prepare for cyclones, and where to go if seeking shelter in the Ukhia area. Medical advice was provided by Dr. Mina Aker from the Balukhali Health Sub-Center, about how to prepare to stay healthy and avoid Cholera.
- Episode - Staying Healthy During Ramadan: This episode looks at fasting and staying healthy during the period of Ramadan in Bangladesh. We talk to Mr. Mizanur Rahman, Imam of South Balukhali Mosque and Shahidul Islam, Doctor for Brac about the requirements for adults, pregnant women and children.
- Episode - Safe Water: This episode is about water and sanitation, and how to make sure water is safe to drink. We hear about the challenges local people are having accessing water and good sanitation. Community Medical Officer Rahat Sultana from Balukhali Sub-Health Center talks about what kind of health issues local people are suffering from due to unclean water. Project Officer Solaiman Sikder from HEKS talks to us about their plans to provide access to clean water for hundreds of families in the area.
- Episode - Early Marriage: This episode is about early marriage: why do families encourage it, and why should girls be able to get more education? We speak with local people about Rahul Barua Aditya, Assistant Teacher at Kutupalong High School and Mahmbubul Alam Tipu, Advocate, Cox's Bazar District Judges' Court Sessions.
- Episode - Road Safety: The roads in the district are dangerous particularly for children. Sabuj Sen, Head Teacher, Kashemia High School Balukhali talks about what pedestrians can do to keep safe; Sergeant Aminul Islam (Traffic Department, Bangladeshi Police Administration) talks to us about the road rules we should obey.
- Episode - Health Facilities: This episode has been developed in the area of health care, which has been impacted by the presence of the refugee camps. Local people are interviewed and expressed frustration at the lack of medical and medical facilities available. Dr. Miraz Hossain Chayan, Medical Officer, Ukhiya Upazilla Health Complex talks about the type of health problems that exist in the area, and how people can access services. We also spoke with Dr. Shahidul Islam from the field of services.
- Episode - Eid Preparations: In this episode, we looked at how local people were planning to celebrate the Eid. We also got advice on safe handling of animal carcasses from Mujaffor Ahmed, Palongkhali Union and an Imam.
- Episode - Mosquitoes: This episode focuses on mosquito-borne diseases; Gafur Uddin Chowdhury, Chairman of Palongkhali Union, and Dr. Zahid Hasan of PHD Health Post.
- Episode - Water and Sanitation: This episode is about water and sanitation, and how to make sure water is safe to drink. We hear about the local people's challenges and good sanitation. Community Medical Officer Rahat Sultana from Sub-Health Center Balukhali talks about what kind of health issues. Project Officer Solaiman Sikder from HEKS talks to us about their plans to provide access to clean water for families in the area.
- Episode - Women's Health: We hear from women this week and challenges of pregnancy and birth. Dr. Kamrunnesa, Medical Officer, Department of Gynecology, Ukhiya Helath Complex gives advice and Balukhali Sub Health Complex Assistant Community Medical Officer Rahat Sultana talks about nutrition needs of pregnant women.
*Follow Option: To follow the channel, you need to register to open your own SoundCloud account and then sign in. But this isn't mandatory if you only want to listen to the program following the given link.
**Download Option: You can find download option under '---More' tab when you click on the given link of each episode and be redirected to the SoundCloud page.